Tuesday, May 29, 2007

My Dog Knows Judo

I've got a great mutt at home. He's a Lab. Sometimes, when the day is nice and the day is boring, I take my dog outside for a long run. I also wrestle with my dog sometimes. He's great with his skills on the bottom. He knows how to defend from the choke, he's got a mean spider guard and an equally mean upkick. He does need to work on his top position though. I can easily tie up his head and arms with one arm. He also tends to want to go for the groin shots now and again. That's a big no-no Fido.

So you're wondering why am I talking about my dog's ground skills. Well, I'm thinking of signing him up to do amateur MMA. I'll train him to do a couple leg locks, maybe the anaconda choke, have him run a few ground and pound drills and then set him off. Watch out Rampage! Here comes Poochie!!

You realize how ridiculous that statement was?

Here's another one.

Dogfighting is just like the UFC because both are brutal sports.

Ok. Ok. So if Dogfighting is just like the UFC...where's the athletic commission in this?

What are the rules?

Do dogs get one minute breaks between rounds?

Are there any rounds?

Is there any weight divisions?

Say that we should support both sports because one wants to perceive itself as on the level of the other is really retarded. It's so retarded that even the retards say it's retarded.

I mean, do you see fighters getting shot in the back for having a broken limb and then buried in the back yard? I don't think so.

Saying that dog fighting is on the same level as the UFC is saying that high school wrestling is promoting unmitigated violence.

Yes, you little Jimmy will grow up a killer because he's a state wrestling champ.

I think what it all melts down to is that, when it comes to competitive violence, the US hasn't a clue what that is. We've conditioned ourselves into excepting the hocus pocus of violence and not come to real grasp with the fact that no matter how much you dress it up, competitive violence is just that. Violence.

The UFC brings in that harsh realization and people don't know how to take it. A lot go with the flow. A whole bunch of others slam the hell out of it.

It's this confusion that allows the pro-dog fight lobby to hook on with this petty and silly notion and has the media giving them that leeway and not calling them on their bullshit.

This needs to stop and needs to stop now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 License.